Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Art of Communication


This may have been true for some or even most of us when we entered this course. Well it certainly was for me. Active listening was something of the past. This should be pretty understandable for anyone who has been to the numerous lectures in NUS. At some point everyone will tune off, it is just a matter of when. But this module was different. I have to confess that if I were to look back at my university education, I will definitely say that ' Hey that module really drove the importance of communication into my brain'.


I may not be a perfect communicator or even a near perfect one at the end of this course but I am much more aware as an individual of the various aspects of communication some of which I had been practising but never realised, some of which I never gave much thought to.


In retrospect, there are two main aspects that I have pondered on the most. This quote by Winston Churchill says it all. "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what is takes to sit down and listen". Be it intentionally or unintentionally I feel we have been made to step out of our comfort zones and communicate as well as sit back and ponder on what our coursemates have said throughout this course.


I sincerely hope to continue making an effort to communicate effectively and let me end off by saying that the long list of resolutions will continue in my next blog post.















No comments:

Post a Comment