Wednesday, April 14, 2010

OP reflections

First and foremost I would like to thank all my team members. I know how stressed all of you were with all the numerous other commitments you had. But I am glad we managed to pull through together as a team. The support and honest comments we gave each other when practising the day before the presentation really united us and the commitment each of you displayed impressed me. Thanks again guys.

I think Germaine has comprehensively summarised how each of us presented but the main thing that struck me was how much improvement we have made since the peer teaching.

Personally, I was a bit jittery because this is the first professional style presentation I have made and I had to keep reminding myself not to try to engage the audience in a colloquial manner. I think I suceeded pretty well. I also surprised myself by maintaining good eye contact. It was kind of fun as it became like a game: Choose a person for each concept that needs to brought across, maintain eye contact and explain to them like I would to a friend albeit formally. And it worked.

However, I was nervous in the beginning and may have stumbled upon some words. I also realised that the other habit I have when I am nervous is that I sway slightly or move forwards and backwards. I tried hard to control it during peer teaching but totally forgot about it during the OP. I am aware that this may be distracting and this is something I intend to work on.

Personally this topic is something I feel for as I come from a family of teachers and my intention was to deliver with sincerity and dedicate the presentation to the poor teachers who may have experienced tremendous anxiety in similar situations as discussed in our OP.

Not only has this OP allowed me to assess my strength and weaknesses and grow as a presenter, the process leading up to this OP has enriched me as an individual and I would like to thank everyone who has played a part in it.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Divya, of all the speakers I think I was most convinced and impressed by yours. Well that is my opinion. Anyway I think you had a natural flow, with great eye contact and good emphasis on your words. You had good posture and seemed really confident. I was very convinced. And to top that all, you didn't use cue cards, even though your presentation seemed long.

    The weakness, although minor, was that at times i felt you tend to look more at the back than the front.

    Overall, good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. Thanks lots Keerthani for the positive feedback. I have to say my presentation was supposed to be slightly shorter but because I was free styling there without cue cards, I think it became long.

    But in any case it was a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with Keerthani that you often tend to look more at the back than the front. I suggest that if you face difficulty maintaining eye contact with the audience in front due to the close proximity, you can stand further back to get a bird's eye view of the audience.

    On the other hand, I was really impressed by your oral presentation as you engage the audience really well. You were clear in your arguments and could see that you really know your stuff. The game that you thought of on choosing an audience for each concept which you want to bring across, is something which I want to try out. I must really comment that you are a charismatic speaker.

    Also, thanks for the positive feedback especially the one on getting immune to maintaining good eye contact(yeah, I do not need to get an injection on maintaing good eye contact during a presentation! Cold..:).

    All the best for your future endeavours!

    Cheers,
    Serene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot Serene. Yes, I think I should have stepped back a bit maybe so I could have maintained equal eye contact with everyone. I will keep that in mind. I hope the game works out for you. All the best!

    Cheers,
    Divs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Div,

    Congratulations on a job well done. I particularly like the various examples which you have mentioned during your oral presentation. They had served to illustrate your point more vividly. They have also helped the audience to connect to your presentation ideas easily.

    One thing to note could be the background setting when you were giving a summary of your project. Maybe it's just me, but the "survey slide" behind you was a bit distracting. It would be better if you could switch off the projector at that point of time so that we can all focus on you alone.

    See you in class,
    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey divs,

    I walked in right before you were about to present so I cannot say much for how the group did. However, your presentation got me settled in so fast because you really caught my attention.

    You were sharp, purposeful and to the point! Loved it. Your slides were great. One more thing, I remember you were concerned about how to suggest apt modules considering the various constraints your group faced, trying to target NUS undergraduates who will eventually become students. You really played up your suggestions well and in fact made the audience blind to the fact that there can be technical and logistical issues with implementing the modules. I also forgot about the constraints you had mentioned. That speaks volumes about the power of persuasion and you have it girl! haha.

    All the best with exams, you'll be seeing more of me anyhow ;)
    Jivs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys,

    Thank you very much again for the positive comments.

    Firstly, Kenny I do agree with what you said about having a blank slide. Shi ting had mentioned it but I completely forgot about it because of the tension with the preparation but will keep this in mind. Thank you very much for bringing it up.

    Jivs thanks lots for the faith in my persuasive powers and yeah I was trying to be as persuaive as possible due to the difficulties related to the target group we focused on. Lucky it worked.

    Good luck to both of us for the exams. See you soon.

    :) Divs

    ReplyDelete