Saturday, April 17, 2010

Final reflections



ES2007S has been an unforgettable experience. I still remember thinking that the workload seemed really heavy when Jivs first suggested we take this module. But as they say nothing worthwhile comes easy, "no pain, no gain" and this module is a classic example. I have truly developed as an individual, become more aware and tolerant as well as overcome many of my fears in terms of communication and emerged victorious.

Experiences such as the peer teaching and to a larger scale the team project taught me to collaborate and work with people. I had to care for my team members, accomodate their schedules and even negotiate with them at times. So many people skills were honed in this process. Importantly, I learnt to put myself in the shoes of another person before acting and I learnt to treat someone the way I would want them to treat me. As for the oral presentation aspect, I am proud that I managed to overcome the fear of speaking in front of people and have even succeeded in enjoying presenting. The content in this module has also provoked me to constantly try to be an active listener, better speaker and presenter and all in all an effective communicator.

The assignments have also taught me how to structure my information effectively and most importantly how to promote myself, an essential life skill when entering the workforce I must say. I am now able to analyse my audience and not only tailormake emails or letters suiting each of them, I am also able to change the way I would present my ideas verbally to each of them.

What I benefitted most from was the constant participation that was required of us during class and the constructive criticism we had to constantly give as well as receive. This was the part I found the most difficult. It is always easiest to keep your comments to yourself and not bring it up to someone if you think what you are going to say is not something the other party wants to hear. But through the blogging exercise in this module, I have realised that having to give honest comments on someone's post has helped me think critically and receiving feedback from peers has also helped me improve myself a lot.

And yes this is not the end. I see it as the beginning of effective communication in my years to come. Finally I would like to thank everyone in class as well as Brad for having made this learning experience a joyous and wonderful one.

8 comments:

  1. Hello!Div

    haha, i too think the participation involved in this module has definitely benefitted me as well because that made lessons more fun and less mundane and we learn the interactive way. I think this module has made us rethink perspectives through the various channels, like blogging where as you mentioned, by having to give comments, it makes us think critically and on the other hand, added perspectives are also gained just by receiving feedback from peers as well.

    Last, i really enjoyed working with you and i think you played a good leader and definitely 1 of the good speakers i have seen...
    All the best in your honours:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lots. Ha ha I had much fun working with you guys too. You made the rather hectic project less painful and easier to handle. Take care and I will fb you soon.

    Cheers,
    Div

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Divs,

    you have echoed my sentiments exactly (: I realised how much you learn when you are made to critique another individual's work piece. We start realising many things that we are blind to when doing self-assessment.

    There were definitely ample opportunities for us to practise whatever was being taught. I myself have never been this pro-active in any classes in Uni or rather there was no opportunity for it!

    Anyway, kudos to you for pulling through the module! All the best for the upcoming exams!

    Jivs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Divya, for this detailed and insightful reflection. I appreciate the way you look critically at what we have done this term. Of course, I'm very happy that you have a positive impression. Part of that impression is because you have worked so hard this term, and you have reaped the rewards.

    Best wishes, Divya, as you continue your studies and as you go out into the world after the university.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Divya,
    I think this is one of the lessons where we class participation points, and were actually made to speak during the lesson. Usually, even with the participation points, many people do not bother speak up, and often the lesson are boring.

    It was great having you as a classmate, all the best for your exams!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Divya,

    i agree with the participation thing, where everyone have to interact with people whom you never knew. it was rather rare to see such active participation required in science faculty.

    and thanks very much with the project. i agree with germaine, that you are one of the best leader and speaker i have ever met. thank you so much for rehearsing with me and giving me confidence. it was really great working with you=)

    all the best

    take care
    Shi Ting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Divya,

    I enjoyed reading your reflection too. It was very insightful about how you felt about the module. I never would have thought that you had an issue about speaking in front of people! You always seem so confident and totally at ease!

    Also, I would like to thank you and Xian Rui for being my job interviewers. You two asked very good questions, and gave very useful comments too.

    All the best for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Divya,

    Before everything I really need to thank you. I am very happy to be in the same group as you and I had really learnt a lot from you. I think that you are really a good leader as you are really helpful and caring.I agree with you that much interpersonal skills were learnt and use in this module as i could see the change in myself from a quiet person to a person that could comment on other people work.

    May you always be well and happy....

    Xian Rui

    ReplyDelete